This project is actually done, but I went on leave and stayed quite far away from the computer, pretty much because I was finishing this off!
With the bath removed, I moved onto taking out the sand that was behind it as well as the cement that had been cast around it. Fortunately most of it near the foot of the bath was quite weak, and was poured on top of tiles, so it chipped off quite quickly.
The rest took a fair bit more effort, more photos would have been great I know, but I was pretty focussed on getting part this step, so I could see some progress.
Here you can see I was taking measurements to try work out how many bricks and glass blocks to buy.
A day on and I had bought the bricks and 1 block, for checking sizing etc.
I have always found that holding something in your hands gives a much better sense of the dimensions and how it fits together with other pieces than just having its measurements.
This was my initial idea, the bricks all round form the ‘base’ of the shower, inside I wanted to cast a cement floor. Having arranged the bricks in this way I noticed that you have to step up quite high to get pas the bricks, seeing as it is for my mother-in-law, who has slipped getting into the bath before, I decided in practice this really was not going to work.
I played around with a number of configurations, having the bricks available to make changes and test if it worked help immensely, while the bath was in I had planned it out in my head, but saw quickly that in reality it did not work so well.